[Samba] can't specify username under WinXP

Andrei Voropaev avorop at mail.ru
Fri Feb 18 10:46:04 GMT 2005

Hello!

One little problem when accessing Samba shares that require password
authentication. I have WinXP. When clicking on the name of share in the
Network Neighbourhood, I get prompt for password. But the user name
field is greyed out and is preset to "guest". So I can't specify needed
username. If I try to access password protected share created on some
other Windows machine, then the dialog is normal and allows to enter
username. So I guess it is connected with Samba somehow.

Currently we have to "mount" samba shares as disks. Then we can provide
user name and password during mounting.

What could possibly cause the above behaviour?

Thanks