[Samba] Warning in logs: gid of user does not exist

Andrea Venturoli ml.diespammer at netfence.it
Thu Feb 17 21:46:06 GMT 2005

Hello.
I've setup a FreeBSD 4.x machine with Samba 2.x and and OpenLDAP backend.
I recently upgraded to Samba 3.0.10 and put "passdb
backend=ldapsam_compat" in smb.conf.

Now, everythings seems to work all right, but I see a lot of this
entries in the logs:

Feb 17 19:42:27 xxxxx smbd[44170]:   get_alias_user_groups: gid of user
yyyyyyy
doesn't exist. Check your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files

This happens always with yyyyyy ever changing and being either an user
or machine account.

I can't get to understand the reasons of this: /etc/passwd and
/etc/group are correct.

In OpenLDAP I only have user/machine accounts, not groups.

I tried "net group [add]" but it does nothing. Also "net groupmap list"
shows no entries, which I don't think is correct.

I've read all the howto and googled a lot, but found no answer.
Any hint?

  bye & Thanks
	av.