[Samba] samba+ldap machine account bug workaround?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 17 17:40:47 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 11:30 -0600, John Hawley wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've used Samba for years, but just this week I decided to try to figure
> out how to use it with LDAP.
>
> I've got everything working to the point that I can now log in on a W98
> machine, but not on a W2k .. problem with the machine account.  I
> understand that there is a bug which has been fixed in 3.0.11, but
> Debian/unstable still uses 3.0.10.
>
> Is there a work-around, as in manually creating the correct machine
> account, till I upgrade?  I can't believe this should be a show stopper.
> Could someone kindly post the LDIF of what a properly working machine
> account should look like?
>
> I realize there are many ldap related config issues that I could have
> screwed up, as a newbie, so I could post config details if that would
> help.
----
I would suggest that you go through the 'Samba by Example' documentation
at www.samba.org - and find an example similar to what you are trying to
accomplish.

Everybody's ldap setup is going to vary and seeing someone else's
machine account is only one very small snapshot into the big picture -
the big picture being the ldap setup in smb.conf, ACL's in slapd.conf,
settings in nsswitch.conf and probably /etc/ldap.conf - the padl version
and the IDEALX setup if that is what you are using to create the entries
in ldap.

The Samba by Example has all those elements in each example (ldap
example) so that the consistency of all the elements is shown.

Craig