[Samba] fast reads, slow writes

Karel Rericha karel at maxent.cz
Thu Feb 17 13:06:50 GMT 2005

We have two SUSE SLES 9.0 x86-64 servers on gigabit network, one with
RAID1 and samba 3.0.4,
and one with RAID10 upgraded to samba 3.0.9. Both have the same problem:
when you copy from
server to client, speeds are on big files about 40MB/s for RAID1 and
about 60MB/s for RAID10.
But when you copy to server, speed are about 8MB/s. I have set up ftp
servers on them just to try
ftp protocol upload, and  it is happy full speed both directions.

After few hours of googling, I found "security = share" hint, which
didn't help, and after little more
time "use sendfile  =  yes" hint, which helped little bit, speeds are
now 10-12MB/s, but still not
acceptable.

We don't intend to use samba servers as PDC, but just only as workgroup NAS.

Original smb.conf is attached (before security and sendfile tweaking).

One more question: does anybody know good utility to test speed of
remote volumes ?