[Samba] users on W2k

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 17 08:26:56 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 08:42 +0200, DA Forsyth wrote:
> Hiya
>
> I'm using Samba as my PDC, and this is fine for desktops since most
> of them are still Win98.
> However, the bosses laptop has W2k and used to work fine under the
> Novell client.  ie there was one user on the laptop and those setting
> were used when logged into Novell and when not connected to the net.
>
> Now, with the domain we seem to be stuck with having 2 users, one the
> local machine user, and the other the domain user.  They have
> separate settings, so any icons the boss sets up when connected to
> the network are not present when he logs in when he goes away with
> the laptop.
>
> Is there a way to have just one user?
----
That is the way things work in Windows Networking when you join a
machine to the domain. Since the computer should be able to 'cache' the
domain credentials, it shouldn't be a problem to keep using the same
user profile from the domain, even if he is out of the office. Some
group policies can interfere with this but if you are asking this
question, it's highly doubtful that they would be enabled.

In general, when you join a system to the domain, you can either copy
the files from the 'local user' profile to the new domain user profile
and simply use that from then on, or you can use the tools that Windows
provides to migrate profiles - I believe that the Samba HOWTO at the
samba.org web site speaks to the issue of moving profiles but it is
clearly the Microsoft way of doing thing when a computer is joined to a
Windows domain and you might familiarize yourself with these details -
much documentation at Microsoft.com - This is not a samba issue.

Craig