[Samba] Windows share "bridge"

Matthew Easton info at sublunar.com
Thu Feb 17 07:56:07 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 06:27, Sebastian Schaetz wrote:
>  a samba "bridge" - a
> seperate machine that connects to the windows xp home machine, mounts
> the shares and serves them itself to the rest of the network. I made a
> little picture...

A fun hack, but I don't understand what your boss gains by this.  If you set
up samba as the server, upgrade his computer to XP Professional,  and
configure his computer as a domain client, nothing really needs change for
him except that shared files live in a different place (i.e., on the server).
This can be obfuscated with the judicious use of shortcuts and/or folder
redirection
 http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#redirfold

Is it that he wants to control who can access which shares? That's what he has
you for. ;-)

If you want to improve your bridge, I think you have two things to try--- NIC
and Disk.

Install gigabit nics for your workstation-to-samba bridge?

Set up IEEE1394 networking instead?  That's 400 MBPS if you can get Linux to
cooperate...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/bridgman_02march25.mspx

Upgrade disks (and/or  invest hardware RAID 0) to get fastest possible disk
throughput?

Or consider getting rid of the samba server and simply upgrading your XP Home
to Windows XP Professional (10 clients maximum).