[Samba] Samba and Netatalk Problem

Matthew Easton info at sublunar.com
Wed Feb 16 07:25:40 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 15:47, Grieve, Shane wrote:
> I have a large number of Mac clients currently severed by windows NT 4
> servers I am looking to replace the with samba / netatalk the problem I
> have is there are a large number of files that contain forward slashes e.g.
> “a pages 2/18” Windows NT translates the / to a  2 “  2 with a dot but
> keeps the rest of the file name readable samba mangles the whole  file name
> to something like _6HZXL~E  I have tried using vfs_cap, vfs_hex
> vfs_netatalk and different codepages including cp932  but still not luck.
> If you look on the linux server fedora core 3 the / is replaced with :2f
> but the rest of the file name is readable. I understand that a / slash is
> not valid but is there a way to keep the rest of the file name readable.

About 5 years ago, when I worked with a macos9 -based company migrating to
windows, I ran a macintosh utility to rename files.  Among the advantages was
the fact that I could add appropriate dot-three extensions based on creator
and file type.

There are several renamers on this page
http://www.macwindows.com/filetran.html --far down on the page you will see
products that are designed to do renamings on an NT Server running Services
For Macintosh.

Or you can write your own in Apple Script...