[Samba] Intended behaviour of "add user" and smbpasswd

Richard L. Melton f1shlips at inreach.com
Tue Feb 15 19:42:30 GMT 2005

Christoph Scheeder wrote:

> Hi,
> Ritch Melton schrieb:
>
>> Hi,
>>    I'd like to upgrade my 2.2 samba to the latest 3.x stable, so I'm
>> experimenting with the new features of 3.x on a RHEL 3 clone. I've
>> run into some difficulty when using usrmgr.exe for administrating users.
>>    I've filled out the 'add user script' define with:
>>         add user script  = /usr/sbin/useradd -g sambausers -c "Samba
>> User" -d /dev/null  -s /bin/false -M "%u"
>

> Mine looks pretty much as your's but i have '-m "%u"' as last parameter.
> And *i can use usrmgr.exe* to administrate my users.
> Have a look at your useradd manpage to verify the parameters you give to
> it...

   Ok, I'm jealous. In that case, I shouldn't need to do anything more
complex than what I'm doing.
   I'm passing -M, although I probably don't need to, to _not_ create a
home dir. '-m' creates a home dir, according to the man page.

    Would you mind posting your specs (os & samba) as well as your
complete smb.conf for me to look at?

Blue Skies,
Ritch