[Samba] Same share mounted multiple times - unwanted

by way of blj at thermoanalytics.com blj at thermoanalytics.com
Tue Feb 15 15:45:39 GMT 2005

I sent this to the list a while back, but never got a response.  So, I figured I would throw it out there again and see if anybody had ideas.  Thanks!

I've been searching for a solution to this problem for a long time now, but google searches are coming up empty.  I have 3 Linux boxes all running Suse 9.1 and samba 3.0.2a.  The 3 systems are:

Novi - the samba server
Newberry - mounting novi
Sagola - mounting novi

This work great, until "mount -a" is run.  Each time mount -a is run, we get another mount of novi.  When I type "mount", I get the usual /, /var, etc... mounts, and then the following:

//novi/pub on /novi/pub type smbfs (0)
//novi/pub on /novi/pub type smbfs (0)
//novi/pub on /novi/pub type smbfs (0)
//novi/pub on /novi/pub type smbfs (0)
//novi/pub on /novi/pub type smbfs (0)
//novi/pub on /novi/pub type smbfs (0)
//novi/pub on /novi/pub type smbfs (0)
//novi/pub on /novi/pub type smbfs (0)

I've also seen this behavior on our redhat 7.3 system when it mounts a windows XP system.  Does anybody have any ideas?  Is there a doc that I missed that covers this very thing?  Any help (even a "Read the bloody man page here!" is appreciated.  Thanks.

Brian Johnson
Systems Administrator
ThermoAnalytics, Inc.
Ph:  906-482-9560 x210