[Samba] Can't save new Excel 2003 files to Windows 98 pc's

Jack D.Browning jac at netdor.com
Tue Feb 15 04:57:56 GMT 2005

It's an odd network, but it's 2 separate, somewhat related companies on one subnet for shared printers, etc.  I am a computer consultant, but am pretty new to Linux/Samba.

The first company has a newly installed server with CentOS 3.3 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.3), running Samba 3.0.11.

The second company has a Windows 98 "server" on it, which should eventually be upgraded to a Linux server once I get the first company's server running correctly.

Immediately after installing the Samba server, the second company's Windows XP Pro pc's cannot save new Excel 2003 files to their Windows 98 "server".  Nor can they save new Excel 2003 files to any other Windows 98 pc's with a share available.  They can save new Excel files to the first company's Samba server or to the local hard drive just fine.

The error they get upon attempts to save new Excel 2003 files to their Windows 98 "server" is:
"The folder 'M:\foo\foo.xls' isn't accessible.  The folder may be located in an unavailable location, protected with a password, or the filename contains a / or \."

If the Windows XP pc overwrites an existing file with a new file on the Windows 98 "server", it works just fine.  If a pc running Windows 98 and Excel 97 saves a new file to the Windows 98 "server", it works just fine.

Saving new files in notepad or wordpad from the Windows XP pc's to the Windows 98 "server" works fine too.

At this point, I'm not sure where to look for the cause, but suspect it's in the Samba config as seen below (without all the shares, which are all the same).

All pc's are set to be a member of "WORKGROUP".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jack D. Browning
jac at netNOSPAMdor dot com

----------------- begin smb.conf -----------------------

[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server string = company1 Samba Server
   hosts allow = 10.0.0. 127.
   log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log
   max log size = 50
   smb ports = 139 445
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = Yes
   os level = 35
   security = share
   name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
   printcap name = CUPS
   show add printer wizard = No
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no