[Samba] Samba logs created with IP addresses, not names

Ed Wood woodystrash at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 22:00:15 GMT 2005

Hi Folks,

I have Samba 3.0.10 installed on a Mandrake 10.0 box.  It is a domain
member server in a 2000 domain and everything seems to authenticate
nicely.  I have winbind smbd and nmbd all showing up in my processes
list and it all seems happy.  The shares all work fine and my domain
users can autheticate.  Yay!

I can resolve workstation's names from the linux box with "ping
otherbox" and "net lookup otherbox".  I can also resolve the samba box
from workstations using "net view sambabox" and "ping sambabox".
In the globals, I have log files = /var/log/samba/log.%m yet rather than
seeing "log.otherbox" generated when other boxes access the share, I
get "log.w.x.y.z". This is not what I would expect and not what I'd like
Below are my "globals".

[global]
	unix charset = LOCALE
	workgroup = OURDOMAIN
	realm = OURDOMAIN.FULLVERSION.COM
	server string = Samba Server %v
	security = ADS
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	password server = 2000DC.OURDOMAIN.FULLVERSION.COM
	log level = 1
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 150
	dns proxy = No
	wins server = 192.168.X.Y
	ldap ssl = no
	idmap uid = 10000-20000
	idmap gid = 10000-20000
	template shell = /bin/bash
	winbind separator = +
	domain master = no
	local master = no
	preferred master = no
	os level = 10

Am I missing anything obvious? Anyone have any tips regarding where else I
could look?  Thanks in advance for any tips you may have.

Ed.