[Samba] Access Denied after Upgrade passed 3.0.2a

Chris Scarff chris.scarff at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 20:46:41 GMT 2005

I have upgraded many Samba versions over the years with great success.
 I use Samba on Solaris/Sparc systems strickly as member servers (file
servers) of my normal Windows XP Domain.

Recently I have attempted to upgrade from Samba 3.0.2a to anything
newer, specifically 3.0.8, 3.0.10, and 3.0.11.

I've successfully compiled Samba 308 & 3011.  Everything works GREAT,
except I have no write access to my shares UNLESS I "chmod 777" on the
unix directory.  That's not good!

Example:  When I upgrade, I'll upgrade my legacy code which is in
/opt/samba302a and has worked great for long time - no issues.  I'll
then compile new Samba and "make install" it in /opt/samba3011

configure, make, and make install all execute flashlessly - like
always ( thanks Samba team nice job! )

I'll copy my pre-exising smb.conf file from old to new Samba
  cp /opt/samba302a/lib/smb.conf /opt/samba3011/lib/smb.conf
  cd /opt/samba3011/bin
  ./net join -U administrator (put the password in) and....

Poof, I'm back in the domain.  All's well.

I check with my PC client and I naturally see all my shares.  Cool.

But now I cannot write to any of the shared folders, again, unless I
do a chmod 777 /share_directory in Solaris.

I've checked for errors in all samba log files - NON.

I've even used Steve Christianen's pre-compiled (version 3.0.10)
version to check my compilation.  His does the same thing.

NOTE:  When I revert back to my old Samba 3.0.2a and rejoin the
domain, all's well again in the universe. I run Samba on 6 Solaris
servers. This is the first time I've seen this issue.

I compiled with all required packages installed, as I have done for
many years!

command:
./configure --prefix=/opt/samba3011 --with-winbind --with-acl-support
make
make install
(all's perfect)

Steve did not use --winbind so that's not the problem I think.

What am I missing?  I'm sure something very simple and stupid.

This occurs on more than one server.  Maybe all, I'm not sure yet.

What has changed between 3.0.2a and the newer versions that I've
missed.  I'll like to upgrade.

Thanks for your time and suggestions
--
Chris