[Samba] Re: 3.0.11 (and previous versions too) printing problem with disable spoolss = yes

Dmitry Melekhov dm at belkam.com
Mon Feb 14 06:43:05 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Dmitry Melekhov wrote:
>
> | I don't remember why I use disable spoolss ;-) I
> | use it for many years. Certanly, I can (and shall) try
> | use client driver,
>
> Using the full point-n-print functionality is the best
> solution IMO.
>
> | but win 9x clients works OK and other printers works OK
> | with 2k/xp. So, may be somebody has an idea what can I do?
>
> Windows 9x uses lanman printing anyways so 'disable spoolss'
> has no effect on thos clients.

Shure :-)
And, I thought that 2k clients works in the same way with disable spoolss...

> Apparently something that
> the HP driver is doing is causing the client spooler to ask
> for the print queue status (e.g. number of jobs in the queue)
> over and over.  This is one reason why people often report high
> loads on Samba print servers.  it's just large amounts of client
> polling.

Now I remember why I'm using spoolss- I want to allow users change any
printer settings (choose tray setting, for example).
Sorry, I'm not good admin ;-) , so I don't know how to allow 2k/XP users
do this on domain level.
Could you help me?

> list.  Bettr to post future followups to the main samba at samba.org

Agree.