[Samba] Prints ok, but says "Access denied, unable to connect". win2k and samba 2.2.1a

Bruce Hohl brucehohl at access-4-free.com
Mon Feb 14 00:17:15 GMT 2005

> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem and solved it by adding
>
> use client driver = yes
>
> to the [printers] section.
> I'm not quite sure whether this option is available in
> Samba 2.2.1a

eliminate these error messages ... at leaset in version
3.0.9.

However, see the following from man smb.conf:

use client driver (S)

This parameter applies only to Windows NT/2000 clients. It
has no effect on   Windows 95/98/ME clients. When serving a
printer to Windows NT/2000 clients without first installing
a valid printer driver on the Samba host,  the  client will
be required  to  install a local printer driver. From this
point on, the client will treat the print as a local printer
and not a network printer connection.  This is much the same
behavior that will occur when disable spoolss = yes.

The differentiating factor is that under normal
circumstances, the NT/2000 client will attempt to open the
network  printer  using  MS-RPC.  The  problem  is  that
because  the  client  considers the printer to be local, it
will attempt to issue the OpenPrinterEx() call requesting
access rights associated with the  logged  on user.  If the
user possesses local administator rights but not root
privilegde on the Samba host (often the case), the
OpenPrinterEx() call will fail.  The  result is that the
client will now display an "Access Denied; Unable to
connect" message in the printer queue window (even though
jobs may successfully be printed).

If this parameter is enabled for a printer, then any attempt
to open the  printer with the PRINTER_ACCESS_ADMINISTER
right is mapped to PRINTER_ACCESS_USE instead. Thus allowing
the OpenPrinterEx() call to succeed. This  parameter  MUST
not  be able enabled on a print share which has valid print
driver installed on the Samba server.

Default: use client driver = no