[Samba] WinXP Home problem with Samba

Larry Gagnon lagagnon at uniserve.com
Sun Feb 13 17:32:49 GMT 2005

I have a problem with a WinXP Home machine using Samba on a small home
network. Here are the details:

-Samba 3.0.10
-3 machines: VectorLinux v5 (smbserver), VectorLinux v5/Win98SE dual
boot (wolf), WinXP Home (andrea), through a router.
-workgroup is "HOME"
-smb.conf is:
[global]
        encrypt passwords = yes
        guest account = smbguest
        netbios name = MYSMBSERVER
        security = share
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192 IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        wins support = yes
        workgroup = HOME
[pub]
        path = /cifs/pub
        read only = no
        guest ok = yes
        guest only = yes

The problem is that the other 2 machines (smbserver and
wolf) can see the WinXP Home machine (andrea) in a browsing window but cannot connect
to it nor see its shared folders. "andrea" does not have a firewall. All machines happily ping back and
forth. Here is a LinNeighborhood log while attempting to see "andrea"
shares from "smbserver":

GetSMBShare:smbclient -L ANDREA -U% -W HOME -d3

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        ANDREA               Andrea's Computer
        MYSMBSERVER          Samba 3.0.10

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        HOME                 ANDREA

An attempt to connect from the Win98SE machine "wolf" produces a Network
Neighborhood window box stating: "\\Andrea is not accessible. No
permission to access resources". Attempts to connect from Konqueror
(using smb://) pops up an "Authorization Dialog" window "Please enter
authentication information for Andrea". If I enter a valid WinXP login
name and password it still gives the same error.

I suspect something is wrong with the WinXP Home machine setup, but I
have been over it numerous times, to no avail. All seems well
(Microsoft Client settings, TCP/IP settings, WINS server setting,
LMHOSTS).

I am considering removing all network settings and TCP/IP and Microsoft
Client protocols and starting from scratch to reset all of "andrea"
network on that machine. Any other ideas or WinXP Home command line
facilities I can use to repair it will be much appreciated.

Larry Gagnon