[Samba] Launching workstation local applications creates SMB traffic and STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE errors

Troy troy at twisted.net
Sat Feb 12 18:50:55 GMT 2005

Launching workstation local applications creates SMB traffic and
STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE errors

I am using Samba 2.2.12 as a domain controller without any use of roaming
profiles. Everything is working fine, but I have noticed some strange
behavior.

I've been working on a problem for quite some time.  No matter what local
application I launch on a workstation, I will see the following server
message block (SMB) packets going from the workstation to the server. I
don't want to include the server in local applications being launched. I
checked the path environmental variable and there are no references to
network drives at all.

Trans2 Request, QUERY_PATH_INFO Query File Basic Info, Path: \.appname
Trans2 Response, QUERY_PATH_INFO
Trans2 Request FIND_FIRST2, Pattern: \.appname
Trans2 Response, FIND_FIRST2, Error: STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE

Another example will be if I go to "run" "cmd" to bring up a DOS
window, I will see the following SMB packets from the workstation to the
server which clearly creates creates performance problems.

Trans2 Request, FIND_FIRST2, Pattern: \CMD"*
Trans2 Response, FIND_FIRST2, Error: STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE
Trans2 Request QUERY_PATH_INFO, Query File Basic Info, Path: \cmd
Trans2 Response, QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error: STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
Trans2 Request, FIND_FIRST2, Pattern: \CMD"*
Trans2 Response, FIND_FIRST2, Error: STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE
Trans2 Request, FIND_FIRST2, Pattern: \CMD"*
Trans2 Response, FIND_FIRST2, Error: STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE
Trans2 Request, QUERY_PATH_INFO, Query File Basic Info, Path: \cmd.exe
Trans2 Response, QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error: STATUS_OOBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

It will then bring up the CMD window, and the prompt will be at the Z:
drive (users home directory).  I want it to come up with C:\ by default.

I would like to get this behavior to stop and have tried searching to no
avail.  Please let me know what I need to do in order to stop the local
workstation from this inefficient behavior.

Thanks,

-Troy