[Samba] smb log error-Transport end point/getpeername

Josh Kelley josh at jbc.edu
Fri Feb 11 16:56:27 GMT 2005

david rankin wrote:

>    Well, no, I'm not positive, but when whatever hangs, I get a big
> slowdown in file access, file open, etc.. from XP. When I then go and
> check the logs the transport end point and getpeername is the only
> thing that shows up in the log. I admit I haven't had time to put up a
> console and check in the past few days. It is definately an XP issue.
> It occurs on both Suse 9.0 and Mandrake 7.2 with 3.0.7. It occurred
> with all the 2.0 and 2.2 sambas as well. I'll keep an eye on it and
> report back.

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but do you have port 80 firewalled
off on your Samba server?  It's my understanding that by default, XP
will try to access network drives via WebDAV before trying SMB, and a
firewall that drops attempted connections to port 80 or that doesn't
respond with a TCP reset can cause noticeable slowdowns in connections
from XP.

Josh Kelley