[Samba] Firewall piercing - The Specified network name is no longer available.

Ilia Chipitsine ilia at paramon.ru
Fri Feb 11 04:25:46 GMT 2005

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Ilia Chipitsine wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:19:57 +0500 (YEKT)
>> From: Ilia Chipitsine <ilia at paramon.ru>
>> To: JLB <jlb at twu.net>
>> Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
>> Subject: Re: [Samba] Firewall piercing - The Specified network name is no
>>     longer available.
>>
>> pptp/vpn client is included in windows distribution as well.
>
> Is it an optional install?

no, it is included by default.

>> client is pretty well tested and works reasonably good since win95osr2.
>
> How does one use it?

pptp is "ppp over gre", in windows terms workstation just establishes
"dialup" connection to pptp server, if you have pptp/vpn server right
between your internet and intranet, so, clients from both segments will
be able to  connect to it and IP will go over private subnet. that is what
we use for almost 2 years.