[Samba] Can't change password with Windows XP (Change password feature)

Ganeshram Iyer ganeshramiyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 03:09:36 GMT 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:29:51 -0000, James Marcinek
<jmarc1 at jemconsult.biz> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I've been trying to figure out why I can't change passwords with my windows
> clients. I thought that at when I first built my smb.conf I could.
>
> I'm running RHEL3 (I also have another system at a different location running
> FC3 with the same problem ).
>
> I've been looking through my smb.conf (see excerpts):
>
> # You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
> # ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
> # Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
>   encrypt passwords = yes
> ;  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>         passdb backend = tdbsam
>
> # The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
> # update the Linux system password also.
> # NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
> # NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
> #        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
> #        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
>         unix password sync = Yes
>         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>         passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
> *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
>
> We get an error now that states not authorized (or something like that) to
> change password. These are Windows XP Pro systems.
>
> The version of Samba is:
>
> samba-3.0.9-1
>
> This is driving me crazy.
>
> Can anyone help me out?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Hey James,
I just recently played with this setup. I finally got it to work after
debugging the output of the passwd command. Try this:

passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *ReType*new*password* %n\n

Keep in mind that this all has to be on one line. I have not included
any line break stuff in there. Of course I must mention that I tried
these on RedHat Enterprise Linux AS 3 with Samba 3.0.9-1.3E.2 and it
work fine. If this does not work then you could try setting log level
to 100 and passwd chat debug to yes and searching the log files for
possible errors.
Ganesh