[Samba] Firewall piercing - The Specified network name is no

JLB jlb at twu.net
Fri Feb 11 00:05:56 GMT 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Robert Schetterer wrote:

> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:20:30 +0100
> From: Robert Schetterer <robert at schetterer.org>
> To: Paul Gienger <pgienger at ae-solutions.com>
> Cc: samba at lists.samba.org, Gordon Russell <russell at co.clarke.va.us>
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Firewall piercing - The Specified network name is no

> Hi @ll,
> following this a longer time now,
> i want to say open smb to web is a total security desaster.
> You will be hacked i minutes by broadcasting smb scanners.

HOW?

If Samba is so easily "hackable"... HOW?

This is *Samba*.
On a SPARC.
Running OpenBSD.

You wanna tell me how the 31337 h4x0r types-- who are used to 0wning
PeeCees running Win9x, not freaking UltraSPARCs running OpenBSD and
SPARC-- are going to "hack" me within a minute?

> As others recommend before , use a tunnelstuff i.e openvpn,pptpd,ipsec
> to tunnel smb in this, or simple use a apache with webdav
> which is shown as a network share too in windows,with same features as
> smb shares.
> Winscp is a very good solution too.
> Last word about your users, if they want to connect
> via the internet via smb , their clients must open smb too,
> so they will be vulnerable too, they dont will feel very cool

Um, what?

How does acting as an SMB --CLIENT-- put one at risk?

--
J. L. Blank, Systems Administrator, twu.net