[Samba] problem creating trusts between NT4 and samba

Paul Smith paul at gami.com
Thu Feb 10 23:09:38 GMT 2005

Hi,

I recently installed Samba 3.0.11 on Suse 9.2 and have managed to get a
simple domain working (people can logon, share printers etc), however,
I'm having trouble setting up trusts between the new samba domain and
the old NT domain.

I'm following this help:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/InterdomainTr
usts.html, specifically, using samba as the trusted domain.

However, when I run "smbpasswd -a -i rumba" I get the following:

phoenix:~ # smbpasswd -a -i ada

New SMB password:

Retype new SMB password:

Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user ada$. Does this user exist in
the UNIX password database ?

Failed to modify password entry for user ada$

The docs mention afterwards that there should be a unix account of the
same name before trying the above.  I've created that account and
retried but get a similar error:

phoenix:~ # useradd ada

phoenix:~ # smbpasswd -a -i ada

New SMB password:

Retype new SMB password:

Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user ada$. Does this user exist in
the UNIX password database ?

Failed to modify password entry for user ada$

So, deleted the system account and tried again, this time giving it a
password but I get the same as above:

phoenix:~ # useradd ada

phoenix:~ # passwd ada

Changing password for ada.

New password:

Re-enter new password:

Password changed.

phoenix:~ # smbpasswd -a -i ada

New SMB password:

Retype new SMB password:

Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user ada$. Does this user exist in
the UNIX password database ?

Failed to modify password entry for user ada$

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Paul