[Samba] smb log error-Transport end point/getpeername

david rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Thu Feb 10 19:06:46 GMT 2005

From: "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org>

> david rankin wrote:
>

> |    I'm trying to solve some log errors I getting. I
> | have samba 3.0.7 installed on Suse 9.0. It has been
> | happening intermittently for several months. I don't know
> | if this is XP client related or what. Any thoughts:
> | The errors are:
> |
> | Feb  9 20:00:33 skyline smbd[14408]: [2005/02/09 20:00:33, 0]
> | lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1000)
> | Feb  9 20:00:33 skyline smbd[14408]:   getpeername failed. Error was
> | Transport endpoint is not connected
>
> I know that Windows XP clients try to connect to port
> 139 and 445 in parallel and drop the connection to port
> 139 if the connect to 445 is successful.  This is probably
> what you are seeing.

Thanks Jerry,

    That makes sense. No doubt an intentional feature from M$. Is there any
way to get around it? When it occurs, there is a real slowdown in the
connection. It is intermittent so it doesn't last that long, but it is sure
annoying when it does.....

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN LAW FIRM, PLLC