[Samba] Firewall piercing - The Specified network name is no longer available.

Christoph Scheeder christoph.scheeder at scheeder.de
Thu Feb 10 15:41:35 GMT 2005

Hi,
i think you do not get the point:
This is not a single point of failure.
Getting your server sharing to the internet will give you nothing.

Why?

1st showstopper:
The admin of the pc you want to access your server from will have denied
outgoing traffic for all smb-packets from the local LAN to the internet.
Because windows machines tend to do heavy broadcasts to sync their browselists
over these ports.
This is unwanted traffic which must be paid for and which reduces available
bandwidth.
So the Admins block these ports to *save money*

2nd showstopper:
Even if your ISP does not, many many ISPs silently drop all traffic on the
smb-ports.
why? Because there a to much homeusers not using firewalls and therefor their
Windows-machines brodcast to the internet to sync their browselists.
If ISPs would forward these packets (or answers to them) it would eat their
bandwidth and money for nothing.
That's the point why they drop these packets:   *MONEY*

3rd showstopper:
SMB is not designed for unreliable networks with many routers and their
latency involved.
SMB over internet simply will not work reliable.

Christoph