[Samba] Firewall piercing - The Specified network name is no longer available.

JLB jlb at twu.net
Thu Feb 10 14:41:07 GMT 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Craig White wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:54:10 -0700
> From: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
> To: JLB <jlb at twu.net>
> Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Firewall piercing - The Specified network name is no
>     longer available.
>
> On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 00:11 -0500, JLB wrote:
> > Please read my points on this sort of "solution" in the past. The whole
> > REASON I want to use Plain Vanilla SMB is so I can walk up to ANY Windoze
> > machine on the entire flippin' Internet and go:
> >
> > Start
> > Run
> > \\IP_ADDRESS\sharename
> > (username)
> > (password)
> >
> > POOF.
> ----
> and if you do that - someone else will 'poof' that machine before you
> can do it

Precisely how "0wnable" is a SPARC64 running a recent version of OpenBSD,
with a recent version of Samba and a password-protected share, using a
non-dictionary-word password?

> ----
> >
> > If I have to install anything, the whole point is moot.
> >
> ----
> seems like an idea that was DOA - moot is probably besides the point
>
> Craig

We're not talking about exposing a flippin' Win98 box to this traffic.
You've yet to explain how/why my box is a security risk, with the
software profile I've outlined for it.

--
J. L. Blank, Systems Administrator, twu.net