[Samba] NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED in root directory, but I can list subdirectory.

Boon Hian Tek bhtek at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 07:12:01 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am a linux user at work in a Windows shop trying to
IT wants to move all the developers from a shared file server to a more
private file server.

The setup is that we have a server by the name of "fileserver".
The directory where I am supposed to store my file is in
//fileserver/users/tek.
I do not have any permission on //fileserver/users, thus when I do a
"ls" with smbclient, I get NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
However, if I "cd" to my directory "tek", then I can do a "ls".
Well, all that is fine and dandy but I can not mount //fileserver/users/tek.

If I mount //fileserver/users/tek to /mnt/tek for example, I don't even
see the directory (ls -al) "tek" in /mnt after I mounted it.
But if I just do an ls, I will still see tek, so I am guessing something
is causing "ls -al" to skip it, e.g. not being able to get any of the
extra information that "ls -al" shows.

My best guess is that this is an issue with permission and how they are
handled differently on Windows and Linux? I tried googling and googling
to no avail.

So, any ideas on how I should approach this issue?

Best regards,

Boon

P.S. All server names have been changed to protect not the identity of
the servers but the identity of the poster ;)