[Samba] Firewall piercing - The Specified network name is no longer available.

JLB jlb at twu.net
Wed Feb 9 15:20:09 GMT 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Aaron J. Zirbes wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:16:46 -0600
> From: Aaron J. Zirbes <ajz at cccs.umn.edu>
> To: JLB <jlb at twu.net>
> Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Firewall piercing - The Specified network name is no
>     longer available.
>
> JLB wrote:
>  > I've already set up zero-install Web-based telnet, zero-install Web-based
>  > MP3 players... I even concocted a zero-install CygWin workalike and
>  > keep it on my keychain USB drive... now I need a zero-install way to
>  > access my files via Windows machines. And that means SMB. NOT OpenVPN,
>  > OpenSSH, OpenVMS or any other "Open".
>

> WinSCP is a MUCH better way to go for this type of thing.  ...And it can
> be zero-install.
>
> FYI, this will need to connect to an SSH server,

...I know what WinSCP is, and I certainly know how it works ;)

> and if you're running
> OpenBSD... (one of the Opens... hehe) it will be probably be via
> OpenSSH... (another "Open")
>
> b.t.w., I'm also curious why you threw that "OpenVMS" in there with
> OpenSSH and OpenVPN? OpenVMS is an operating system typically run on
> Digital hardware.

Just because it began with "Open" and ended in a three-letter acronym. Had
I been able to think of another, fourth such word, I would have tossed it
in as well ;)

> P.S.  If you don't want any "Open" software, may I ask why you are
> running OpenBSD?

It was merely a play on words.
I happen to LIKE the "Open" software.
However, typical Windows-running people (who get skittish enough when you
simply open a command prompt window, thinking you're "hacking") make my
job more difficult by creating a situation in which things go much more
smoothly when I don't have to install ANYTHING, much less some open-source
software that'll creep them out.

(N.b. in some situations, installing open-source/free software on Windows
boxes run by F/OSS-phobic Windows types makes a lot more sense than NOT
doing so... e.g. I am about to half-heartedly start a project for people
to install FireFox on Windows users' computers, sometimes without their
knowledge, but that's due to the impact of spambot-infested Windows boxes
on the Internet at large, and the global impact of productivity lost to
the slowdowns caused by spyware)

--
J. L. Blank, Systems Administrator, twu.net