[Samba] Firewall piercing - The Specified network name is no longer available.

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Feb 9 14:54:57 GMT 2005

>I'm trying to set up one of my Unix machines at home so I can access my
>stuff there via SMB from the Internet at large (read: from Windows-using
>clients').

Are you saying that you're trying to allow access from 'random internet
user'(which is probably you) directly to your samba machine?   You will
have problems with this if it is what you're doing.

1. because you may have a default filter on your firewalls that block it
from traversing, although I think most sane manufacturers took this rule
off now
2. because your ISP probably blocks/filters those ports.
3. because it's a Bad Thing (TM)(R)(C)

Spend a little time and set up a vpn endpoint on your box and just
forward the necessary ports over, i think openvpn is 5000.  You'll be
much happier, sane, and protected as such.

>I'm behind two NATting devices-- the lame-p Prestige DSL modem provided by
>Sprint DSL (a.k.a. Earthlink?) and a more typical home DSL/cable gateway
>device.
>
>I've poked holes in BOTH of these devices on ports 137, 138, 139 AND 445.
>Only port 139 actually responds to TCP connections (well, only port 139
>accepts a telnet, even from localhost.
>
>See:

>-bash-2.05b# telnet localhost 137
>Trying ::1...
>telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
>Trying 127.0.0.1...
>telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
>-bash-2.05b# telnet localhost 138
>Trying ::1...
>telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
>Trying 127.0.0.1...
>telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
>-bash-2.05b# telnet localhost 139
>Trying ::1...
>telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
>Trying 127.0.0.1...
>Connected to localhost.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>^]
>telnet> close
>Connection closed.
>-bash-2.05b# telnet localhost 445
>Trying ::1...
>telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
>Trying 127.0.0.1...
>telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
>
>It should go without saying that this machine's Samba shares work
>PERFECTLY WELL within the LAN. ;)
>
>Now, from the outside, I can telnet to port 139 on the machine just fine,
>through both NAT devices. However, when I go Start, Run,
>\\x.y.z.a\sharename (where "x.y.z.a" is the IP address-- not the FQDN-- of
>the machine), Windows vomits up this unhelpful message:

>\\x.y.z.a\sharename
>The specified network name is no longer available.
>
>See:
>
>http://jlb.twu.net/tmp/unhelpful.png
>
>Any ideas? The client machine runs Windows 2000 Pro.
>
>--
>J. L. Blank, Systems Administrator, twu.net

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322