[Samba] Samba v3.0.11 assigning privileges with custom pdb plugin

Paul Griffith paulg at cs.yorku.ca
Tue Feb 8 16:55:49 GMT 2005

Greetings,

We have home grown user management backend system, and I have ported
our v2.2.x passdb over to v3 type plugin. I am able to access files and
print using our backend. I am running into trouble joining PCs to the
domain.

I am assuming the primary problem is that our backend system doesn't have
a 'root' user.

I was hoping that assigning SeMachineAccountPrivilege to our tech
members would be enough to allow our tech members to join computers to
our domain.

net rpc rights grant 'DOMAIN\paulg' SeMachineAccountPrivilege

But I get prompted for a password and naturally if I don't enter a
password I get.

Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1
The username or password was not correct.

Now as a test I did the following

o disable our plugin and used sampasswd plugin
o create Samba root user
o assign SeMachineAccountPrivilege to myself
o comment out sampasswd backend and enable our backend
o I was now able to join the PC to our domain.

So the question is it possible to gant rights without using the Samba
root user? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Paul