[Samba] Printer settings get lost

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Tue Feb 8 14:54:17 GMT 2005

Hi List,

I have a problem with printing and cannot find a solution in the HowTo
or in the mail archive.

I have set up "Point and click" printing according to the official samba
howto. I uploaded the drivers to the server and can print from the
clients just fine, with one exeption:

As a printer admin i can configure our printer to have the duplex unit
installed and other (non privileged) users see the changed setting. But
after a while (i am not sure when, maybe when i have logged out) the
setting gets lost, the printer does not have a duplexer anymore and
unprivileged users cannot use it because they can't configure it (it is
greyed out).

I use SAMBA 3.0.10 on Gentoo Linux. Client is Windows XP SP 2.
Printer driver is in /var/lib/samba/printers/W32X86/3

Any ideas? This is really a showstopper for our samba printing.
--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341