[Samba] root user in smbldap...how to change home

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon Feb 7 23:43:46 GMT 2005

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> on Monday, February 7, 2005 at 6:27
PM +0000 wrote:
>1 - if you have root user in both /etc/passwd and DSA, you get errors in
>ldap logs. You seem to have seized upon a configuration that is
>knowingly imperfect but expedient for samba use. What happens if you
>change root's password? which gets changed? who knows...probably depends
>upon what client package is used to make the change. I only see
>confusion here.
>
>2 - if I don't recommend what I am doing personally, then I would be of
>no help to anyone anywhere so I guess I don't understand the admonition.
>
>if the admonition is the advice I am giving goes against the current
>state of the How-to 'then' yes, I may be guilty as I am not always aware
>of the current state of the How-to and occasionally reference my v2 of
>the bound version that I bought at the store

In all fairness to you, Craig, (and me) the guys at IDEALX who are putting
together smbldap-tools actually wrote the Administrator user right into
the default ldif that is populated when you run smbldap-populate.  It
actually creates the Administrator user.  Running it with -a root  changes
that user to root....which is proving to be a good thing.   So although it
may be "naughty" a LOT of folks are handing out that advice and even
building it into scripts.  I wanted to NOT have that be the thing that was
causing problems in the smbldap-installer script we wrote.  Latest version
(corrected the bugs) is located here (still gamma as it needs updated
docs)  http://majen.net/smbldap-installer-1.2-gamma.tgz    (FC3 or K12LTSP
4.2 only at this point)

>if the admonition is that I am not looking at setup with only the tunnel
>vision of making samba happy, yes, I am guilty.
>
>if the admonition is that I don't consider winbindd, yes, I am guilty
>because I don't use winbindd anywhere, never have so I am never
>cognizant of the implications when using winbindd

me neither!  :-)

>Why is everyone so touchy today? Super Bowl hangover?

hangover?  The Patriots WON!  (that's a good thing...I'm here in
Maine...however, Craig....I did used to live in Tempe, AZ!)  Red Sox and
Pats...and now Linux World is coming next week to Boston....all is right
with the world....  :-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School