[Samba] 'ldap passwd sync' not working

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Feb 6 22:12:20 GMT 2005

On Sunday 06 February 2005 09:55, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> Adam Tauno Williams:
>
> [...]
>
> > My guess: the behaviour of 3.0.11 is more correct, and something is
> > clearly wrong with your DSA - the client cannot read the rootDSE.
> > Possibly you've got an ACL doing something you don't intend;  it doesn't
> > look like a Samba problem.  The rootDSE is used to determine features
> > supported by the DSA, included the password-modify extended operation.
>
> Me too. I've just (couple of weeks) been playing with and implementing
> Samba (3.0.7 and 3.0.9). High school has to integrate a Windows
> 2000/collection into an already established Linux network, on the basis of
> OL 2.2.17.
>
> What's surprised me, is the utter correlation between what happens and the
> Samba crew documentation. However, the only LDAP documentation that I've
> found is the CTI, University of Navarra stuff, and whilst helpful, this is
> directly misleading in many cases and following it blindly can lead to
> misconfigured systems (in general, most HOWTOs suck, if one follows them
> literally).

The Samba-HOWTO-Collection is literally intended to be correct and capable of
being followed literally! Please document what sucks and help us to improve
our documentation. I encourage you to file a bug report with details of what
needs to be fixed. You can file a bug report on https://bugzilla.samba.org

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra