[Samba] Re: "Delayed Write Failed" and other similar errors on Windows machines

Michael J. Welch, Ph.D. mjwelchphd at adelphia.net
Sat Feb 5 06:57:18 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 February 2005 16:10, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> What messages are you getting in the Samba logs ? This looks like an
> oplock break failure or in the extreme case smbd crash.
>
> Jeremy.

On Windoze:
It doesn't seem like smbd is crashing because it continues to work after the
errors. For example, I go to a folder and try to delete--I get an error, but
the file deletes. I try to delete another and it deletes with no error. I go
up to the folder's parent, then back into the folder, and try to delete
again, and the error repeats. In all this, certain operations always work,
such as reading a file.

I did notice that in the log.linux there is a message "Mapping user
[TUX-NET]\[linux] from workstation [LINUX]"--this may refer to the SuSE Live
DVD connect, but I logged on with a proper username and password.

BTW, the delayed write failed error does not occur if I use a share on a
windows machine, only on the SuSE machine. I used the same 3.0.7 under
Mandrake without this problem, so perhaps it has something to do with the
SuSE configuration.

The logs and smb.conf can be found at ftp://dev.horchatafactory.com/

I was out of the office today, and I just turned on my Windoze machine to
repeat the error, and it isn't showing up at this moment. Usually a Windows
reboot has no effect on the problem. This is the first time I've seen the
problem go away without a SuSE reboot, and SuSE was last rebooted 2 days 9
hours ago.

-- Thanks,  Mike