[Samba] Samba RPMs for RedHat/FC and idmap_rid

S Murthy Kambhampaty smk_va at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 18:34:59 GMT 2005

As discussed previously on this list, Samba RPMs for
Fedora Core do not include idmap_rid support.  This is
also true for older RedHat distributions.  SuSE on the
other hand, seems to have been patching in idmap_rid
support since 3.0.5 or so; and with trusted domain
support, to boot.  Harrumph.

I've been able to rebuild samba srpms on FC2 and
RedHat 8 by patching the samba distributed rpms, and
get idmap_rid support which is a lot easier than using
the xad plugins (no offense to PADL and Luke H., but
our setup is simple so idmap_rid is all we need).  The
diffs are attached; it would be nice if they could be
mainlined.

Thanks, Murthy

PS: It is way cool that mappings produced by RH8, FC2
and SuSE 9.2 are same, with so little effort, thanks
for this feature, Samba team.