[Samba] Shares of Logged Out Users Still Visible By Next User

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 14:07:22 GMT 2005

In a message dated 2/4/2005 12:14:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, jht at samba.org
writes:
Andy,

Please show us how you have configured the [homes] stanza. Are you using
"valid users = %S" in the stanza?

- John T.
Hi John,

Actually I don't use HOMES directories. And I am not using the "valid users"
line anywhere in my smb.conf files.

Each user has many private shares that only HE/SHE is supposed to be able to
access. Those shares are defined in individual smb.username.conf files. In the
GLOBAL section of my smb.conf file, I have the statement:

"include = /etc/samba/smb.%u.conf"

The listings in the individual "smb.username.conf" files look like one of the
two following models:

[Private Projects]
    comment = Metadata No Media Here
    path = /home/andy/Projects
    write list = @editors
    read only = No
    guest okay = No
    create mask = 0775
    directory mask = 0775
    force directory mode = 2070
    force group = editors

[andy_TuesdayFiles]
    comment = Media Files
    path = /RAIDS/RAID_1/media/andy_TuesdayFiles
    write list = @editors
    read only = No
    guest okay = No
    create mask = 0775
    directory mask = 0775

Note:  The /RAIDS/RAID_1/media directory has the sticky bit set for the group
, so the group is always "editors" inside the media folder.

It's very important the the ownership and permissions of the files inside
these shares be set broadly -- because they are often moved to other locations
where other people need to access them. However, while they reside inside a
particular user's share (and corresponding directory) they should only be
accessible to that particular user.

Andy