[Samba] using printer on linux from windows

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Fri Feb 4 13:16:42 GMT 2005

tj:

> I am at my wits end.
>

> I have a brother hl1440 laser which I have working with Linux under
> cups, but I cannot get it working with samba and seen by a Windows XP
> system. I already have disk shares working properly. The printers name
> under cups is 1440. I want it's Windows printing to be done by the Windows
> driver.
>
> All the docs I have found online all seem to assume you already are a
> Samba/Windows expert, which I am not.
>

> So, can any kind soul let memin on what entries need to be put in
> smb.config to get it working?

Dunno if this can help, I'm a samba newbie but I just set up XP printing
and nothing surprised me more than seeing it work :P

What I did. Bits of it were not as in the Samba HOWTO, but nevertheless it
works:

Test setup:

Basis Red Hat RHAS3 on an IBM T23 Thinkpad
Samba samba-3.0.9-1.3E.2, Openldap 2.2.20
CUPS cups-1.1.17-13.3.13
Gimp Print gimp-print-4.2.4-5
Windows XP Professional virgin 5 on a Compaq EA700
Epson C42UX inkjet color (el cheapo), USB0 onto the Thinkpad.

Set up Cups normally, define the printer normally.

Set up Samba printing to use CUPS as standard printing facility:

[printers]
        comment = Epson C42UX
        path = /var/spool/samba/raw_q
        printer admin = Administrator, root
        create mask = 0600
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        use client driver = Yes
        browseable = No

Define the printer as raw device, as in the HOWTO chapter 19
/etc/cups/mime.types and /etc/cups/mime.convs. Do *not* muck about with
Postscript drivers.

Reload smbd/nmbd, restart cups

On the XP machine as an Admin user do *not* install the printer driver
from the manufacturer's CD (tried it and it didn't work), go to the Samba
printer share in My Network Places etc., double click on the share.
Windows says "No driver installed" and comes with a list of default Epson
drivers, none of which works :(

Under, it says: "Have disk". Put the driver CD in the Windows M/C CD ROM
drive, click on "Have disk", go to the Win 2000 drivers (there are no XP
drivers) and find a *inf for the correct printer. Printer gets installed
on the Windows machine, with the correct \\netbiosname\printershare.

Choose the printer in Control Panel, right click, choose to print test
page, hey presto test page is printed.

HTH,

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl