[Samba] XP SP2 and slow logins/offline files sync: RPC changes?

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Thu Feb 3 20:15:43 GMT 2005

I posted a while back (twice, actually), about some long delays with
offline files sync and, to a lesser extent, domain logins with Windows
XP SP2.

This is Samba 3.0.7 (ldapsam backend) on Mandrakelinux 9.2 and 10.0,
with XP SP1 clients.   I make use of WINS and everything works fine for
SP1 clients.

Here's what I found since then: after the client is joined to the Samba
(NT) domain, things slow down a little.  When the Cisco VPN client OR
the Microsoft VPN adapter is enabled along with that, things slow down
even more.   I can remove the client from the domain and the slowness
goes away - even leaving the VPN adapter(s) configured.   Most striking:
a non-domain (local PC) user sees slow offline files sync *based only on
the above change*.  Just having the client computer joined to the domain
is enough to hose things up, even though a non-domain user is logged in.

Since I keep seeing odd RPC-type unauthenticated user calls happening
when things go slow, I wonder if the following may have anything to do
with it (RPC changes in XP SP2)?  More to the point: has Samba accounted
for the changes and/or does it need to?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2netwk.mspx#EGAA

Comments appreciated.

Dave