[Samba] RE: New Windows XP Pro. Workstation Does Not Want To Join Domain

Kenneth Nwoye kenneth.nwoye at mediatools.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 17:14:32 GMT 2005

Hi All,

I have recently built a new Intel based workstation running off Windows XP Pro. The problem is that I keep getting the logon failure error message: "unknown username or bad password"

Our SAMBA (version 2.2.7a) file and print server resides on a Sparc/Solaris 8 machine. I am quite confident that both "root" passwords for the UNIX machine and the SAMBA server exit. In order to achieve this on the SAMBA server, at the CLI, I did this # /opt/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a root <enter> after which it prompted and confirmed my password entry.

Any clues to resolving this problem will very much be appreciated.

Ejimofor Kenneth Nwoye