[Samba] Re: Creating mandatory profiles (not making profiles mandatory)

Ilia Chipitsine ilia at paramon.ru
Thu Feb 3 16:11:24 GMT 2005

>>> Use %a in your path names to fix this.  %a will be replaced with the
>>> architecture of your system, i.e. Win2K,WinXP,WinNT etc. etc.
>>
>> hmm, people usually expect to see the same profile even under different
>> OSes. it will be pain in the ass especially if You have hundreds users.
>
> It may be a PITA but we have to face up to the facts, MS Windows profiles are
> NOT compatible across OS versions. A Windows NT4 profile is not compatible
> with 2KP or XPP - while it is possibile to "upgrade" you can forget backwards
> compatibility. Windows 9x/Me v's NT4/2KP/XPP are completely different and can
> not be shared.
>
> What precisely do you mean by "expect to see the same profile"? How have you

1) redirected folders (like My Documents, for instance)

2) registry settings like HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office (in order to run
MS Outlook) and so on, not entire HKCU hive, but at least some important
(for their software) things.

> achieved this in the past? Your comments have peaked my curiosity. Maybe I am
> missing something that is important.

I used to run mixed XP/w2k environment for months and it was pretty well
with exchanging profiles across those systems. the only issue I recall that I
had to install MS Office XP (or later) in order to have that damn
cftmon.exe on w2k machines as well.

so,

w2k/xp - good combination

nt4/xp - bad combination
nt4/w2k - bad combination
9x/nt-based - bad combination

it is possible to "upgrade" nt4 profile to w2k or xp, system picks up
profile, but reverse change seems to be impossible.