[Samba] Creating mandatory profiles (not making profiles mandatory)

Jean-Jacques Moulis jj at isy.liu.se
Thu Feb 3 14:38:09 GMT 2005

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:58:37 +0100 "Ilia Chipitsine " <ilia at paramon.ru> wrote:

>  8) xp behave weird on roaming profiles.
>  even if You reqiure "delete cached copies of roaming profiles on
>  exit", xp leaves copy and !!! if You delete network copy of roaming
>  profile (in order to create profile from "Default User"), xp picks up
>  local cached copy. so, in such case You need to remove both network
>  and local cached copy of profile. no idea how to make xp delete it on
>  exit.

XP delete roaming profiles on exit as well (or as badly) as W2k.
You need to install the "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service".

Expert from the README file:
UPHClean v1.5e readme.txt Updated March 4, 2004 by Robin Caron
All feedback appreciated to uphclean at microsoft.com
WHAT IS UPHCLEAN
UPHClean is a service that once and for all gets rid of problems with user profile not unloading.

You can download it from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

We are using it with roaming profiles, mixed folders redirection imposed by an adequate NTCONFIG.POL
( we leave desktop in the profile and redirect  almost everything else).
W2k and XP profiles coexist rather well, NT don't.

--
Jean-Jacques   Moulis                              Tel:  (013) 281684
ISY                                                Fax:  (013) 139282
Linköping University                            E-mail: jj at isy.liu.se
581 83 Linköping