[Samba] Printers not visible to other users

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Thu Feb 3 11:06:06 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I run a 3.0.8 Samba PDC with WIN XP SP2 clients. I configured printing
(lprng) with drivers uploaded to the server for easy printer
installation on the clients.
This works like a charm: I can drag'n drop printers from the server's
printer share or install them with the local "Add printer" wizzard.
I do this as a domain admin on the client and it works fine.
BUT: If another user logs in to the client, he does not see the
printers! And since he is not admin, he cannot install any.

I then took a look into the admin's NTUSER.DAT (with a hex editor) and
found the names of the printers there!
So it seems i installed them only for this user.
Is this possible? I always thought that printers are installed system-wide.

What am i missing here? Can anyone help?

Regards,

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341