[Samba] Creating mandatory profiles (not making profiles mandatory)

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Feb 2 18:53:02 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 08:58, "M. Müller" wrote:
> Thanks a lot Ilia!
>
> We have 200 PC and nearly all have a reborn-card or such, which prevents
> any lokal changes, so local copies of profiles do not exist. Users log
> in very often to different Computers and need to have a defined
> environment i.e. an available profile. I already use a "default
> user"-profile and redirected folders (thanks John, the book helped a
> lot). Nevertheless I feel that I cannot rely on the profiles' integrety
> once a user had a chance to modify it. Making a registry copy is a good
> tip, i will use that, at least for some users. But rather than backing
> up I would very much appreciate to set up a defined profile for each
> user. I think it would make life a lot easier for me (and the users).

The last time I tried to create a "Default User" profile that was set as a
mandatory profile the Windows client could not handle this on login. You can
of course use a normal "Default User" profile that has folder redirection,
set the client to delete cached profiles on logout, and NOT have a profile
share. This means that every user will get a fresh profile on login every
time.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra