[Samba] Samba 3.0.11rc1 Available for Download

David Landgren landgren at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 08:12:19 GMT 2005

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:47:22 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter
<jerry at samba.org> wrote:

> David Landgren wrote:
>
> | # time smbclient //jersey/dsvi -U david%foobar -c 'exit'
> | creating lame upcase table
> | creating lame lowcase table
> | Domain=[BPINET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.11rc1]
> |
> | real    0m8.817s
> | user    0m0.180s
> | sys     0m0.020s
> |

> David,  I'm not seeing anything like that here.
>
> time bin/smbclient //queso/public -U jerry%foo -W VALE -c 'exit'
> Domain=[VALE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.11rc1]
>
> real    0m0.386s
> user    0m0.027s
> sys     0m0.005s
>
> This is a on linux 2.6 box.  Maybe a name resolution issue?
> Have you looked on the server for dns timeouts or wins
> server timeouts?

This is Solaris 2.9. Name resolution is fine (ns0 is my WINS server).
# time ./nmblookup -RU ns0 jersey
querying jersey on 0.0.0.0
172.17.0.101 jersey<00>

real    0m0.167s
user    0m0.150s
sys     0m0.010s

DNS performance is correct..Solaris lacks a 'host' command by default
which is a bit of a hassle, but watching the logs of the DNS server
shows that requests are handled in milliseconds.

You raised an eyebrow at security = domain in my config. It's been
that way since 2.2.8 and (poor) performance was never sufficiently
noticeable to warrant benchmarking.

Other servers are running Linux and have security = user and the
following params for querying the LDAP server directly:

    passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://ldap-master.example.com"
    ldap suffix = dc=bpinet,dc=com
    ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com
    ldap passwd sync = yes
    ldap delete dn = no
    ldap user suffix = ou=People
    ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
    ldap group suffix = ou=Group

When I use this in the config, authenticated shares don't work, and
the following is logged:

[2005/02/02 08:10:32, 0] passdb/pdb_interface.c:make_pdb_methods_name(684)
  No builtin nor plugin backend for ldapsam found

I didn't compile --with-ldapsam. From what I read in the archives, I
thought it was a compatibility shim for 2.x ldap backends, and that
with nsswitch things would Just Work. Now that I look more carefully
at similar problems, I think I do have to compile --with-ldapsam.
Which means I can then use the above params, which hopefully means the
performance issues will sort themselves out. Does that sound
reasonable?

Thanks,
David