[Samba] Re: Migrating from NT4 to Samba - correct strategy

Sridhar Venkatakrishnan sridhar.venkatakrishnan at trilogy.com
Tue Feb 1 05:46:44 GMT 2005

Hi,

Just changing the domain name might not work. From what I can tell, all
your client machines are joined to the NT domain. These are not part of
the samba domain and so nobody will be able to log in from them. You
would have to create machine accounts for all the client machines,
remove them from the domain and then rejoin them to the domain.

Or you could use pwdump2.exe to get the machine trust account passwords
for the NT domain. The output of this command could be dumped directly
into the smbpasswd file (but I dont know if that still holds) and you
should have all the machine accounts. However, there is one issue you'll
have to look out for....NT machines automatically change their machine
trust passwords every week and so this swap can't be done over a long
period or the passwords would have changed.

Hope this helps....

Sridhar

Josir Gomes wrote