[Samba] setting access rights for shares not working for groups

Cornelius Weiss list at von-und-zu-weiss.de
Fri Dec 30 13:32:19 GMT 2005

Hi list,

i have a really strange problem with samba3

i have my useres,groups and machines in a ldap backend.
also i configured /etc/nsswitch.conf so that users and groups have posix
accounts.
with getent passwd and getent gorups i see all users and groups.
The usermanager on windows-machines also sees the groups and knows which user
is in wich group,  so this part seems to be working.

My Problem is, that i can't set permissions for shares groupwise.

This is my smb.conf for a share:

[cad]
        comment = STT CAD
        path = /home/data/cad
        readonly = yes
        browseable = yes
        valid users = @cad
        write list = @cad
        force group = cad
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775

But this isn't working. no user of the group cad can read this share.
Moreover, it seems that "some" other userser which are not in the cad group
can read this share, but i wasn't able to reproduce this truly. Seems to be
some random generator behind :-)

I really have no idea whats going wrong. Could this be a bug of samba?
Anybody an idea?

tnx a lot
cornelius