[Samba] Authenticating users in domain

Mariusz Kruk kruk at epsilon.eu.org
Wed Dec 28 11:33:06 GMT 2005

I know samba server can work in NT Domain evironment but I would like to
make something a little more complicated if this is possible.

I have two networks, let's say 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24
There is no routing between these networks! (and that's a very important
requirement).
In 192.168.1.0 network I have a domain (let's call it DOMAIN).
In 192.168.2.0 network I have hosts in a workgroup (let's call it
WORKGROUP).
I to have a host with two network interfaces plugged into both these
networks.
This host is a member of DOMAIN, I can authenticate local users (not
samba users) with winbind, everything works great. I can run samba as a
domain member, and this also works. But I would like to run samba on
192.168.2.0 plugged interface as a member of WORKGROUP. But I would like
to authenticate users in DOMAIN. Is it possible? (i mean, user from
192.168.2.0 network browses WORKGROUP, finds my host tries to connect to
share, is asked for a user/password pair; these credentials are then
used to authenticate the user in DOMAIN as DOMAIN\user with the provided
password)