[Samba] Unable to open printcap file lpstat

ANDREW NASH nashcom at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 26 18:13:15 GMT 2005

  Hi

  I’ve been carrying out some upgrades to our SCO Unixware 7 server.  I’ve updated from 7.1.3 to 7.1.4, and then installed maintenance pack2.

  On the Samba side, this means that Samba has been upgraded from 2.2.8a (with UnxWare 7.1.3) to 3.0.0 (with UnixWare 7.1.4).  Everything seemed to be working fine at this point.  Samba was then upgraded to 3.0.10 (with maintenance pack 2), and I am now getting the following error:

  Unable to open printcap file lpstat for read.

  My smb.conf file has the following in the global section

  printing = bsd
  printcap name = lpstat
  load printers = yes

  I’m not sure why the ‘printcap name’ parameter is set to ‘lpstat’ – I obviously got it to work that way when I originally installed Samba, but that was a fairly long time ago.  I can’t see any files such as /etc/printcap.  Also, I'm not sure why there is no path specified...

  It looks like part of the upgrades have installed (or at least updated) CUPS on the server, even though I’m not using that.

  I can print to the printers using the Unix command:

  lp –d laser1 /test/file1.txt

I’d really appreciate some help with this.  I’m sure some users will be in tomorrow (even though they’re meant to be on holiday), and I’m sure they will be screaming at me if they can’t print!