[Samba] Unable to join Win XP machines to the domain

Familia Vera Paris fliaveraparis at ciudad.com.ar
Sat Dec 24 19:04:43 GMT 2005

I've posted the following as samba bug. They recomended me to send an
e-mail to the list. I'll appreciate if anyone can help me with this,
since I've been dealing with this for a month...

Thank you!!

I configured Samba 3.0.20bb (in a Debian Sarge server) using the same smb.conf
file I was using in a Samba 2.2.3a-13 (on Debian Woody server) but the XP box
doesn't let me join the domain. I also try different smb.conf files using some
examples as base.
The XP box ask me for a user account with permission to join the domain. I use
ferrocement/root (ferrocement is the name of the domain, and root is also
defined as samba user) and, after a while I the the message :

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "FERROCEMENT":
The parameter is incorrect.

Here is my smb.conf file :

;*******************section global*****************
[global]
wins support = yes
dns proxy = yes
time server = yes
netbios name = ferrolinux
server string = Ferrocement PDC running %v
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
os level = 64
prefered master = yes
local master = yes
domain master = yes
security = user
encrypt passwords = true
domain logons = yes
debug level = 2
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
log level = 2
max log size = 50
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
logon home = \\%L\%U\.profile
logon drive = X:
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
workgroup = FERROCEMENT
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s /bin/false -M
%u
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null %u
;*******************section homes*****************
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = False