[Samba] Hiding and showing folders in Samba.

Dennis B. Hopp dhopp at coreps.com
Sat Dec 24 16:03:51 GMT 2005

Quoting Michel Bouchet <michelbh at gol.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Samba as a file server; with 11 users :
> usr1, usr2, ..... usr10, usr 11.
>
> There are several folders on the server :
> sfold1, sfold2, ...... sfold10, sfold23
>
> Each user has full access (read/write) to some folders, only read access to
> some others and finally no access at
> all to some other folders.
>
> I would like the folders which are not accessible to a given user  to be
> invisible when she/he browses the samba-server.
>
> How can I do that ?
>
> I have tried to use the "browseable", "only user", and a few other flags but
> it did not work. Either the folder is visible to everyone or to nobody. Of
> course I still can control the access rights, but it would be cleaner if the
> non-accessible folders did show up at all.
>
> Has anyboby got this problem ?
>
> Does anyone know how to solve it ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Michel

I would like this feature too, but I don't think is how Windows works
and since Samba tries to work exactly as Windows it might not get done.
  On a Windows share the only way to hide a directory is to set the
hidden bit but then anybody that has "Show hidden files and folders"
set can still see the directory.

--Dennis