[Samba] Do users have to have accounts on a Samba server to map drives?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Dec 24 06:30:40 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 14:54 +0000, Steve Blackwell wrote:
> I know this may be a very simple question but I cant seem to find the
> answer in the O'Reilly Samba book or from Google.
>
> When using Samba 2 (actual version 2.2.12) we had W2K domain users
> authentication via the ADS to access Samba shares. The W2K users did not
> actually have Unix accounts on the Samba server, we used the users.map
> file to map the W2K account name to a guest Unix account.

> The only way I found to get the users to mount a Samba share is to create
> a Unix account. I don't particularly want to create 600 Unix account for
> users to access a couple of shares.

The best option is to use winbindd, and it will cause the windows
accounts to appear on the unix server.

> Does anyone know how to get Samba 3 to act the same as Samba 2?

Increases in correctness have caused some changes, but given the
suggested mapping to 'ftp' above, perhaps you want the 'map to guest =
bad user' option?  I think there is another one for doing the same for
authenticated users...

Andrew Bartlett