[Samba] maximum password age

Alessandro ml at arrangiarsi.com
Fri Dec 23 20:47:01 GMT 2005

nik600 wrote:
> On 12/19/05, simo wrote:
>
>> On lun, 2005-12-19 at 13:37 +0100, nik600 wrote:
>>
>>> i've tried to set the maximum age of passwords with:
>>>
>>> root at servlan:~# pdbedit -P "maximum password age" -C 8035200
>>> account policy value for maximum password age was 8035200
>>> account policy value for maximum password age is now 8035200
>>>
>>> as you can see Password must change: Fri, 13 Dec 1901 21:45:51 GMT is
>>>
>> wrong!
>>
>>> what can i do to set the password max age?
>>>
>> The maximum password age is a server setting, not a specific user
>> setting.
>>
>> It tells the server how to calculate the Password must change field
>> when, and _only_ when the user password is changed.
>>
>> When the user changes it's password, the Password must change field is
>> calculated as current time + maximum password age seconds.
>>
>> Changing the maximum password age setting will not change any existing
>> user Password must change field. You either need to force a user to
>> change his password or edit the password must change field by yourself.
>>
>> This is hot NT has been designed, and is also the only sane way it can
>> work.
>>
>> Simo.
>>

> thanks for your reply but i've tried to change the password and the value
>  Password must change doesn't change!

hmmmm

let's check:

  # pdbedit -v -u storm | grep must
  Password must change: ven, 13 dic 1901 21:45:51 GMT

Now I try to set "maximum password age" like yours:

  # pdbedit -P "maximum password age" -C 8035200
  account policy value for maximum password age was 4294967295
  account policy value for maximum password age is now 8035200
  # smbpasswd storm
  New SMB password:
  Retype new SMB password:

check it again:

  # pdbedit -v -u storm | grep must
  Password must change: dom, 26 mar 2006 22:37:01 GMT

I think that's what you want!!!! but now let's have more days to play with:

  # pdbedit -P "maximum password age" -C 1003089564
  # smbpasswd storm
  New SMB password:
  Retype new SMB password:
  # pdbedit -v -u storm | grep must
  Password must change: mar, 06 ott 2037 18:38:54 GMT

Cheers...

Alex!